Trigonometrical Plan of the Town and Port of Liverpool
Lovely example of the finest 19th century city plan of Liverpool.
This incredible case map of Liverpool is a celebration of the intimate relationship between the city and the sea. Extensive docks can be seen along the banks of the River Mersey, several of which are shown as under construction as the shipbuilding capacity of the city reached it peak and required significant expansion. Buildings related to the trade can be seen all along the docks, and include customs houses, sail makers, rope walkers, timber mills, scales, coopers and coal yards. Tidal variations are helpfully provided in a corresponding table, and even the coat of arms of the city alludes to its relationship with the sea. Available above the title cartouche, a cormorant holds a piece of seaweed and is flanked by Poseidon and Triton, gods of the sea. The motto, DEUS NOBIS HAEC OTIA FECIT, can be translated as “God has bestowed these blessings upon us.”
Other details within the image include the outlines and labels of prominent buildings, annotations regarding the history and organization of the city, and a compass rose showing East is oriented at the top. The first all steam powered passenger rail line, the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, can also be seen with its station near the entrance to the King’s Dock.
Publication Date: 1836
Author: Michael Alexander Gage
Sheet Width (in): 66.50
Sheet Height (in): 40
Condition Description: The map is in fantastic condition, dissected into 36 separate panels with original maroon leather covers and matching full leather gilt slipcase. Original hand coloring expertly applied. Some lifting of edges around certain panels, and minor soiling most notable near the cartouche and in the River Mersey.